Subject: Re: Software License Sound Bites, Version 0.1
To: Karl O . Pinc <kop@meme.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/18/2002 14:34:10
On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Karl O . Pinc wrote:

> All right, I can't resist.  Here in Chicago, a homeowner got sued, and
> lost, because he shoveled the snow off his sidewalk and, later,
> somebody slipped and fell while walking on the sidewalk.

As is right, if it was wanton or willful misconduct. Taking a piece
of public property and converting it to a dangerous state is certainly
rather different from writing a program that people can use or not,
as they wish.

But at any rate, please feel free to quote the case and explain how a
judge would find this to precedent to apply to someone using a public
domain piece of software.

cjs