Subject: Re: Software License Sound Bites, Version 0.1
To: Karl O . Pinc <kop@meme.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/18/2002 12:23:16
On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Karl O . Pinc wrote:

> Give it away by
> putting it in the public domain, or by using no license at all opens
> coders up to all kinds of problems.... In case you don't happen to
> know, you can be held responsible for damage caused by your software
> unless you use a license which prevents this.

Before I believe this, I would like to see a) the legal argument upon
which you base this factoid, and b) any examples of cases where anybody
has been held responsible for the results of the use of a public domain
object by others.

As far as I know, there is certainly no implied warranty on goods that
are not sold. I do not see how there could be a warranty without a
contract, and since the author is receiving no consideration, I do not
see how there could be a contract.

cjs