Subject: Re: Software License Sound Bites, Version 0.1
To: Perry E . Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Karl O . Pinc <kop@meme.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/17/2002 18:18:50
On 2002.07.17 17:33 Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> "Karl O . Pinc" <kop@meme.com> writes:
> > In an effort to combat the general confusion surrounding the terms
> > Free Software and Open Source, I have attempted to write some sound
> > bites to define, contrast, and comment on the terms.
>
> Other than RMS's desire to distinguish his work from open source work,
> what's the point?
>
> Myself, I find the discussion fruitless. I write code, I give it away.
<snip>

I recommend you find a nice person to pick you a license, like the new BSD
or X11 license, that will keep a lawyer from showing up at your door
and taking away from you everything you own.

The point is that, like it or not, authors and users of software enter
into a relationship with one another.  Those who are not aware of the
relationship they are in may have ugly suprises in store.

You don't have to care.  I'm just asking those who are interested to help.

Karl <kop@meme.com>

(I have removed all addresses from the list excepting
netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org,
as I don't know that those addresses are discussion oriented.)