Subject: Re: netbsd counter-strike & quake3 server fire tested
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 06/18/2002 22:37:34
On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 11:35:42AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Did the machine run CS and Q3 at the same time?

Both the servers were up at the same time, this may have been one of
the reasons things were a bit slow on map changes in CS.  The machine
only has 96Meg of RAM.

> How many players in each game?

All up we had about 12 people at the LAN, I am certain that at one
stage everyone was in CS, we had about 6 to 8 in Quake3 at one time.
As far as LANs go it was not very large but I like to keep them
small we don't get idiots turning up and messing things up for
everyone.

I am not sure that both games had people in them at the same time, we
did notice some hitches when playing the Q3 excessive mod and someone
tried to join the CS game but I suspect that is because of the extreme
traffic pattern of the excessive Q3 mod[1].  I was running top at the
time and I did not see the server using more than about 10% of the CPU
so I suspect that the network may be more the bottleneck - the card
was running 100FDX, perhaps the CPU could not push the packets fast
enough.  I don't know, I should really watch the system more closely
next time instead of gaming....hmmmm.... nup, scratch that idea.

[1] The excessive mod for Q3 is a server side modification that speeds
up the action in Quake3, the fire rates for the weapons is increased
to an insane rate and the firing modes of some weapons changes a bit.
Your health, armour and ammunition all increment at a fixed rate so if
you are not being hit or firing they go up.  You start with all the
weapons and just race about hosing people down, lots of fun but really
stresses the network connection due to the updates.

--
Brett Lymn