Subject: Re: NetBSD Daemon
To: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 05/11/2002 08:47:11
"Thomas Michael Wanka" <Tom@Wanka.at>  wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > On 11 May 2002 at 7:39, Herb Peyerl wrote:
 > > Show me some black and white t-shirts and CD's that you've done.
 >
 > I have not *done* t-shirts, I just bought some b&w t-shirts
 > from linuxmall. The prices here in Austria are not comparable
 > to the US prices, if you like we can compare them. However I
 > have thought about making some b&w t-shirts here, if I take
 > the linuxmall t-shirts as quality reference, a t-shirt costs
 > about USD 12, b&w printing is about USD 5 (add another USD 5
 > for colour), plus shipping and 20% tax - minimum order 100
 > shirts! That makes about USD 20 per b&w t-shirt production
 > cost, and I paid less than USD 200 for 10 t-shirts from
 > linuxmall including shipping to Austria, and I assume they
 > made at least some money.

Good quality white t-shirts are about $6.00 USD. (because I know
what I pay for them in CDN$).  Silk-screening on shirts is all
about setup.  So if you leave out the price of the t-shirt, it's
only marginally more money to print 500 shirts than it is to
print 100 shirts.   If I were doing 100 shirts, I could sell
them for about $12.00USD and that's 4 color.  For B&W, I could
sell them for about $11.00USD.  There's no compelling reason to
go to B&W just to save $1.00 per shirt.  (B&W is a 1-color
process since the 'white' is the t-shirt itself).  All the
money is in the setup.

Again, I've actually _done_this_.  I know what I pay.

I sell my NetBSDiality shirts for $20USD because I only made 40
of them when I had them made and there was screening on front
and back.