Subject: Re: xmms, kDE
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/12/2002 18:32:24
[Apologies for the tardiness - I've been offline for a while]

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Richard Rauch wrote:

> > It also supports remote control via an IRman, although last time I looked,
> > the irman plugin was broken in pkgsrc. This worked beautifully on FreeBSD,
>
> I can't find IRman with locate.  But, then, my pkgsrc is from ~March 1.

The irman plugin has been built as part of the xmms package for ~forever.
It just hangs xmms if you try to enable it, or at least does in the
version I have. It may have been fixed by now, but I doubt many people use
it.

> > allowing pretty much any standard TV, video or hi-fi remote control access
> > to almost all of xmms' features.
>
> I assume that you need some kind of special sensor on the computer.  (Or
> does this use the IR interface that some laptops have?)  Although it's
> kind of academic anyway, since I don't actually have any such remotes.
> (^&

It's a little box that plugs into the serial port. Receive only, I'm
afraid. But it does have a very wide angle lens, and a greater sensitivity
than your average remote sensor.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget