Subject: half-life dedicated server works
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/31/2002 21:42:10
Folks,
        Every couple of months I run a small LAN party, up until now I
have just been using my wintel box as a server but I have become
increasingly pissed off with the lack of reliability of it acting as a
Counter-Strike server.  The other alternative was to run a Linux
dedicated server.  Only I did not want to run Linux.  So, I had a
nice, clean netbsd-current (as of circa 29/03/02), I loaded up the
suse_linux-6.4 package, untarred the linux Half-Life dedicated server
tarball into /emul/linux/usr/local/games, then untarred the
CounterStrike mod as per the instructions.  Fixed up the ld.so.config
file so the linux ld.so could find the half-life game library and then
just did a "/emul/linux/usr/local/games/hlds_l/hlds_run -game cstrike"
and LO! I had a counter-strike server.  Once I had this up and
running, I fetched down the admin_mod for linux (sort of a in-game
remote control for counter-strike).  Following the instructions
provided I was able to successfully install the admin_mod.

At the moment I have only tested this by connecting up to the server
with my wintel box and running about in a map by myself, I shall need
to wait until the next LAN party to give the machine a damn good
thrashing.

Next on the list is to get the hlstats working (www.hlstats.org) to
generate stats for the party that and the pizza ordering system!

So, if anyone was wondering if they could host a half-life dedicated
game server on NetBSD, wonder no more.  It can be done, it is easy to
do.  I only wish they had a client so I did not have to deal with
wintel :-(