Subject: Re: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: NetBSD/advocacy <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/22/2002 11:50:00
On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 02:41:20AM +0100, Iggy Drougge wrote:
> Wojciech Puchar skrev:
>
> >do you know any desktop environment allowing to use basic unix mechanism
> >easily?
>
> >like pipes at least?!
>
> The closest thing to pipes in a GUI environment which I've found is ARexx on
> the Amiga. The very nature of most GUI programs makes pipes unworkable, but
> ARexx allows inter-procedure scripting, so that results may be forwarded
> between programs. OLE and similar embedding techniques in MacOS and Windows,
> if they'd have caught on, might provide something similar.

I don't think pipes are orthagonal to a GUI at all.

For example, what is wrong with connecting files with pipes graphically,
and selecting programs and connecting them with data, etc?

I think it would be useful, and probably more controllable than the
CORBA stuff under Gnome, or the kio pieces of KDE.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com