Subject: Re: logo suggestion
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/20/2002 16:46:40
On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 06:39:49PM +0100, Thomas Michael Wanka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 19 Mar 2002 at 13:35, Alexander Mueller wrote:
> > > Well, almost.  NetBSD needs MP support, kthreads, and much better
> > > desktop support before it can honestly be considered a competitor to
> > > Linux, except for the simplest uniprocessor server machines, etc.
> >
> > O.k., I guess you're right. Those are really NetBSD's weaknesses. At
> > least MP support is being worked on (for some architectures).
>
> SMP support would be great.
>
> The question is, if it is wanted to compete with linux/windows
> on the desktop. From my experience ease of use equals loss of
> stability - nothing that I want.

This is only true if the easy-to-use parts were done poorly.

There is no reason you can't have both.

Current projects just are "not there yet", and unfortunately things
like C++ binding issues and exploding class libraries make the more
ambitious projects like KDE difficult to manage.

I wish people understood that sophistication != complication.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com