Subject: Re: Permission to use the NetBSD logo
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Jim Wise <jwise@draga.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/14/2002 22:00:26

OK, a few points here, and then we should really leave this thread
behind:

a.) like it or not, the Iwo Daemon image _was_ explicitly modeled after
    the famous statue of the flag raising on Suribachi, and brings that
    to mind quite intentionally.  To not see the similarity involves
    either willfull misunderstanding to make a point or a sort of
    cultural ignorance which is unfortunately more and more common.

    The feverish pitch of the rest of your post suggests the former.

b.) `offensive' or `not offensive' is a red herring.  The question is
    one of propriety.  You are quite right that if an image is a good
    one for the purpose, that it might offend some people is not of
    itself a reason not to use it.  Missing, though, is a realization
    that an image might be proper or improper _of its own merit_.  The
    current image trivializes the heroic (and often mortal) struggles
    of the USMC in the Pacific by suggesting that we consider our
    project of equal gravitas.  IMO, that makes it in poor taste
    regardless of who may be offended by it or not.

- --
				Jim Wise
				jwise@draga.com