Subject: Re: Permission to use the NetBSD logo
To: Jim Wise <jwise@draga.com>
From: sudog <sudog@sudog.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/14/2002 09:13:25
On Wednesday 13 March 2002 18:15, Jim Wise wrote:

>   For what it's worth, I've come around to pretty much complete
>   agreement with all of these points.  In particular, to make a parody
>   of a famous image of people fighting and dying for liberty and
>   democracy, and use that to represent people hacking and flaming for
>   what in the end is only a codebase seems suboptimal.
>
>   NetBSD is cool.  But it is, of necessity, on a somewhat different
>   plane than the raising of the flag over Suribachi.

The Japanese are NOT a subjugated people. Cooperation with them
necessitates that we come around to respecting how hard they worked to
rebuild their nation in a cooperative, capitalist sense that benefits us
and them on a much more peaceful, non-imperialist scale--both from trade
and cultural exchange. I'm sure the American bases over there are quite
enough without waving flags in their faces.

Why remind them that you kicked their ass in some battle? It seems
ignorant to me. That would be like flying a logo repsentative of how we
burned the White House to the ground.. so while I think it was a great
idea and I'm glad we're not just another American state up here, I still
think it'd be ignorant to trumpet how we've won every war we've ever
fought against the Americans. We're friends now, so why continually remind
you that you were beaten back every time you tried to conquer us?

History is important, and it's important to remember things like the
Battle of Quebec: But reminding you of it out of a sense of Canadian
patriotism is not only ignorant, it encourages resentment. See what I mean?

-sudog