Subject: Re: Permission to use the NetBSD logo
To: NetBSD/advocacy <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/13/2002 17:52:20
Jan Schaumann skrev:

>Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se> wrote:

>> While I was on a walk, I came to think of a similar motif, but without the
>> same political connotations, namely the famous picture from the French
>> revolution, featuring that bare-breasted woman holding a flag, surrounded
>> by struggling citizens. It retains the same basic picture of a struggle,
>> contains a flag, but doesn't relate to war.

>Plus, it got ti^Wboobs.

Might be difficult to put on a demon...

>The image did come to my mind as well, and I would like it, too, but I
>believe that the most commonly noted problem with the current logo is
>that is is inherently "un-logo-ish", in that it is too complex.

Agreed, it's a "no logo", and it looks a lot like just any BSD-ish
illustration which the site maintainer came across. Regardless of what others
in this thread have read into it, I don't think it conveys a very clear
message. OTOH, anything colourful would clash with the current page design,
which I actually like. The NetBSD site is so inoffensive to the eyes that it
can be browsed for hours.
OpenBSD has managed to make a semi-successful logo. The demon is cute enough,
too, though it's not often seen in NetBSD-specific circumstances. One could
almost say that NetBSD is the system with no logo.

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.