Subject: Re: Permission to use the NetBSD logo
To: NetBSD/advocacy <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/13/2002 20:33:50
Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se> wrote:

> While I was on a walk, I came to think of a similar motif, but without the
> same political connotations, namely the famous picture from the French
> revolution, featuring that bare-breasted woman holding a flag, surrounded by
> struggling citizens. It retains the same basic picture of a struggle, contains
> a flag, but doesn't relate to war.

Plus, it got ti^Wboobs.

The image did come to my mind as well, and I would like it, too, but I
believe that the most commonly noted problem with the current logo is
that is is inherently "un-logo-ish", in that it is too complex.

A logo is something that you can doodle down while yapping on the phone,
something kids draw on tables in school.  The storming of the bastille
(http://www.jvdbconsulting.com/images/french%20revolution.jpg) is still
to complex, me thinks.  (Though it could replace the Iwo Jima image, if
that was desired.)

-Jan

--
finger jschauma@netmeister.org