Subject: Re: Permission to use the NetBSD logo
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/12/2002 17:41:06
Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>  wrote:
 > >> 3) Reminds lots of people of war instead of the spirit of
 >
 > You can see it that way if you like.  I am instantly reminded of the flag
 > photo at Iwo Jima, but that's an abstract place in an abstract time for
 > me.  I see it as echoing a famous photograph showing a group of people
 > cooperating at a task.  I don't see (not even in my mind's eye) people
 > getting shot, bayonetted, etc.  I don't see the surrounding war.
 >
 > I'd also remind you, if you are on a political correctness crusade, that
 > lots of people see the BSD daemon and think ``devil''.  If you don't want
 > to offend/turn-off people by an image that can be interpreted
 > unpleasantly, then the daemon has to go.  Are you ready to back that one?

This is what bugs me about this whole line of discussion.  There's
no shortage of people willing to say "lots of people could be
offended by this image" but in the 10-ish years I've been involved
in NetBSD, I can remember only 2 instances of someone actually
being offended.  I've seen more people offended at the notion of
using the devil as a mascot.  These people are broken.  If we made
the logo a red circle, there's bound to be a couple of people
offended by the notion.

"political correctness" is always the wrong reason to do something.  If
your goal is to offend 0 people, then you might as well just stay in bed.

I'm happy that I've been able to offend a couple of linux-leenies with
the logo/image for my company: http://www.realweasel.com . I like the
logo. If you're offended by it, I don't want you as a customer.

I have no objection to the search for a new logo and/or illustration to
use on the site.  I do have an objection to doing it if the reason is
political correctness.

 >  * Symbolizes cooperation at a task that may be too big for just one
 >    person.
 >
 >  * The computers represent NetBSD's portability.
 >
 >  * The fact that they appear to be old and discarded reflects NetBSD
 >    support for such machines.
 >
 >  * The stark black and white suggests simplicity and functionaity over
 >    frills.  No gaudy colors, and no hype.
 >
 >  * Planting a flag amidst computers suggests NetBSD is claiming ground.
 >    Usually, when *I* think of ``planting a flag'', I think of taking
 >    unclaimed ground (so there is no implicit loser).  The ground here
 >    is a field of cast off computers that other systems wouldn't support.
 >    (Ties back into the field of discarded computers, but is a little
 >    different.)
 >
 >  * It does have the word ``NetBSD'' in it.
 >
 >  * Inasmuch as I am any judge, the imagery suggests the BSD tradition.
 >    (Cartoony daemons with forks.)

I like the above. What I find amusing is that almost none of those ideas
were present when the logo was drawn in the pub over a few guiness...