Subject: Re: NetBSD mention on IBM Developerworks
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/28/2002 17:44:54
On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 12:29:39PM -0800, sudog wrote:

> The only things I don't like about sysinst are the fact that it doesn't
> recover so well from a forced fsck and it doesn't pick up again so well
> after a slightly altered environment in /bin/sh from the utilities menu.
> Otherwise, NetBSD sysinst is one of the best bloody system installers I've
> ever seen. No tedius package installation. No tedius, endless menus to
> "preconfig" your system. It does one thing and it does it fast, and
> well--install NetBSD on a computer.

Another problem I have noticed with sysinst is that it redisplays
the screen a lot, sometimes 2-7 times in a row while waiting for
input.

One time yesterday on a new install I had to stop it because on the
timezone entry dialog, it just started going into a redisplay loop.
I could scroll in the dialog, but could not actually pick and entry.

The second install worked, but I frequently had screens that would
redisplay multiple times, and no, I was not holding down a key.  I even
turned key repeat off just in case, but it still happened.

Otherwise is seems interesting.  I've never used it on a sparc before.

Another thing I would like is if all of the install methods would use
the serial port speed set in the console firmware.  I usually set my
terminals to at least 19200, and I hate that the kernel resets the speed
to 9600 when doing an install.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com