Subject: Re: Home Page Logo
To: Tero Kivinen , <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/27/2002 22:57:10
As if this were a vote:

I think that the black and white version is still best.  The stark black
and white image reflects the NetBSD simplicity and elegance.  A color-wash
does nothing to improve the image.

Again, I suggest to anyone who wants a new logo, that they start by
designing something with artistic depth.  Ideally, the purpose of the
exercise should be to express something, rather than simply to replace one
picture with another.  Certainly, creating a new picture with the sole
goal of adding color is, IMHO, misguided.  Neither color nor black and
white s inherently better than the other; the *choice* of how one or the
other is used is what matters.  In this case, adding color muffles one of
the aspects of the picture (an aspect that, I believe, is suited to
NetBSD----whether the original artist intended that correspondance or
not), without adding any value.