Subject: Re: advocacy
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/25/2002 18:02:44
On Jun 10,  5:06am, Rick Kelly wrote:
} John Nemeth said:
}
} >     That's rediculous.  You can get one for a third of that on eBay.
} >Heck, you can buy a brand new SunBlade 100 for $995 (single processor
} >only; but, a newer generation and running at 500MHz, so probably
} >faster).  It's amazing what some of the used dealers try to get away
} >with.
}
} That was an Ultra 2, dual 300Mhz, dual 16gig drives, 256MB memory, and
} a 1 year warranty. It is actually refurbished as opposed to some junk
} that someone sells on ebay.

     Okay, make it half (i.e. $900).  I got an Ultra 1E off eBay and
didn't have any problems.  A friend got some other stuff and the
keyboards were pretty beat up, so I realise that you are taking
chances.  If you stick to companies with good feedback and warranties,
you should be okay.  My personal policy is that I won't deal with
anybody that says the stuff is "as is".

} The SunBlade 100 looks like it is really cheaply built, while Sun PCI
} cards, which you need if you are running Solaris, cost as much as the
} box itself.

     Understandable since it is their bottom end entry level box and is
aimed squarely at the PC market.  It is a desktop version of the Netra
X1 (1U rack mount).

}-- End of excerpt from Rick Kelly