Subject: Re: Lots of new users
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: John Marshal <john.marshal@usa.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/25/2002 23:39:20
Hello,

I'm a new user myself. I used a bunch of different Linux installation before
(SuSE, RH, Slack and other less known one) without being satisfied. I then
try NetBSD and I'm happy with it. Why ? It's the first one that didn't
install thousand thing that you will never use and cause problem.

I love the simplicity and the startup configuration. I love the fact that
YOU are in control of what you are doing, the fact that YOU select what you
want to install.

Because of that, I will stay with NetBSD.

But there are some point that, I guess, are not in favor of NetBSD for new
user:

-1- The installer...
I agree that we should not become like all the Linux installer that mix,
installation, administration and setup. But the installer should be able to
run a tool, after the installation, to configure all the basic stuff. New
user are afraid of the command line and are not confident to modify manually
the system file. I'm waiting for 'Sushi' to see how it will help in this
case

-2- Patching
We should provide a way to patch only part of the system without having to
rebuild everything or manipulate manually the file. We should also provide a
way to rollback.

-3- As for a X desktop by default. I disagree with that. Or may be IceWM,
it's small, fast and nice.

-4- Not really NetBSD OS related, but if only the port could be updated more
often....

John.