Subject: Re: IP: Wal-Mart PC, Operating System *Not* Included: $399 (fwd)
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org,>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/22/2002 12:04:25
On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 04:37:25AM -0800, Andy R wrote:

> Now, this is the theory anyway. It's too bad that
> consumers don't care. They just want the lowest price.
> Which forces business back into the practices they are
> best known for (but really are forced upon them for
> their own survival by the customer): profit; community
> be damned.
>
> So who's really to blame?

The industry.  The consumer propensity to buy crap does not justify bad
engineering and illegal tactics on your part.

I hate to bring it down to this level, but it's basically a matter of
two wrongs not making a right.

A professional _should_ have a certain ethical responsibility,
irregardless of what the consumer does. If the market only had good
products, the companies would not die, consumers would choose among
those just as they now choose among crap.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy when you say X can never happen and
thus never try.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com