Subject: Re: Look and feel
To: NetBSD/advocacy <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/22/2002 08:27:31
On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, David Laight wrote:

> > For Mr. Average, Sendmail can be a real nuisance, too.
>
> Especially since it rather likes your system to have a 'real'
> domain name.  You also tend to need a .cf file that has
> all the masquerades enabled - if only to hide the system
> name from the outside world.
>
> Mr Average is probably better off using mozilla mail
> - which does its own POP / smpt.

Does Mozilla mail handle queueing (in a normal way where it retries every
so often, maybe send status messages, and bounce or kill non-deliveries
after a set amount of days)?

Anyways, a smtp-out tool is needed to send out normal system mail. A few
tools are sending out mail; plus the user may send mail from some usenet
reader or some other application. So now matter what, the regular sendmail
(as defined by mailwrapper) needs to be configured. (I don't think you'd
want -- and its probably not capable -- for Mozilla to be a
sendmail/mailwrapper command-line replacement[1].)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

[1] I've been using a 13,000-byte (today stripped), BSD-licensed,
sendmail-replacement for almost 16 months now. I need to clean up a few
things, finish the queuing, and make it available. (If anyone is
interested in testing "mailout" -- maybe on a test or low-use system --
email me off-list.)