Subject: Re: Home Page Logo
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/22/2002 07:41:32
--- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 11:06:33PM -0500, Jan
> Schaumann wrote:
> > Well, I'm not too big a fan of the logo either, so
> I attempted to
> > create an image without actually having to be
> artistically inclined
> > (read "cut'n'paste").  Dunno about the result, but
> maybe the idea can
> > get somebody who actually knows what they're doing
> with the Gimp to
> > create a logo?
> >
> > I took most of the pictures of the Ports and a few
> daemons:
> > http://www.netmeister.org/misc/lots_of_netbsd.png
> >
> > Should somebody be interested, I also have the
> transparent, layered
> > gimp-file...
>
> pardon me, but if someone skilled will bring this
> into his hands the
> result will be the *current* logo. with few more
> colors. that's all.
> and the current one has an idea behind, this looks
> like just a chaotic
> mass to me.

Give him a break for "*$&^! sake! Nobody said this was
the be all, end all for front page logos. Just
something he was working on. I don't particularly like
it either, but for the reasons that he originally
said, it's just cut and paste work. It may become
interesting if it was blended together a bit better...

I happen to like what the original logo stands for,
being a euphemism for the flag raising at Iwo Jima.
Although, in some circles it could be seen as too
political.

> of course i may be completely blind and don't know
> what i am talking
> about, so i am sorry.

Well, that's not it. The idea presented was self
depreciating enough that it didn't need any extra
critiquing. The actual direction it is taking is not
bad as far as I'm concerned. Let's not use our
engineering type skills to critique what is
essentially art. Critiquing art takes a whole
different set of skills...

Andy