Subject: Re: IP: Wal-Mart PC, Operating System *Not* Included: $399 (fwd)
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/22/2002 13:56:43
> However the issue of bundling software with hardware as a hidden cost
> is a complex one. The American case law would say that it should be
> sold separately, well at least they forced IBM to do so back in the
> 70's.

In the UK (if not everywhere) you can't actually buy win98SE2 (the
proper OEM copy) unless you buy 'hardware' at the same time!

I'm also fairly sure that the retail PC suppliers get load of SW
at a knock down price so that they can pre-install it on systems
(and not give the user any proper installation media).

This all makes it more expensive to use M$ stuff on a system
you put together yourself.  You have to pay the full (read
inflated so it can be heavily discounted) price for some bits
of s/w you probably don't really need...

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk