Subject: Re: IP: Wal-Mart PC, Operating System *Not* Included: $399 (fwd)
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/21/2002 20:51:08
Greg A. Woods wrote:

> I believe that in the end the personal computer industry really won't be
> a free and open market until either somone wins and well all end up
> running the same software,

why does "winning" have to be defined as there is only one solution?

As much as current events contradict me, we still have several car
makers around the world and all cars are essentially the same from
the driver's seat, barring left and righthand drive issues. It
would be a great thing if we had multiple OS and app vendors
supplying similar or functionally equivalent tools at differing
price points and levels of complexity/power.