Subject: Re: Look and feel
To: NetBSD/advocacy <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/21/2002 20:00:45
On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 07:49:37PM +0100, Iggy Drougge wrote:

> Apart from the traditionalist perspective, one big problem would be finding
> something which would run on all NetBSD platforms. Gnome and KDE are too
> bloated even on modern high-end hardware, I don't want to think of how it
> would run, or even compile, on my HP300 or Mac68ks.  I don't think a
> NetBSD-related solution would be out of place here, instead of one of the
> Linux-derived everything-but-the-kitchen-sink bloat monsters.

This is probably going to be a mindfield... :)

I have an Athlon 700MHz, 512MB RAM, fast SCSI, etc. It took nearly 2
hours I believe to build KDE 2.2.2.

I have heard of people with "little" systems like a P200 Intel with
128MB or RAM building it nearly all day and all night.

An HP300?  All I can say is make sure you ship good binaries so the user
doesn't have to build it.

But at the same time, I don't want to be limited by small machines either.
Maybe just make sure the install documentation discusses the speed
issues and things like that.

If all people want is to "brand" the various graphics setups with NetBSD,
that's pretty easy.

I suspect some people want something more, but maybe are not completely
sure what it is they want.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com