Subject: Re: Home Page Logo
To: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
From: Wes Peters <wes@dobox.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/21/2002 17:21:52
Iggy Drougge wrote:

> Ram Chandar skrev:
>
> >Anybody coming at www.NetBSD.org is
> >likely to be driven away by the very unfriendly
> >looking logo at the front page.
>
> >I firmly belive that it should get artistic
> >attention to have color, look less chaotic
> >and more friendly.
>
> It /has/ colour and it is /not/ chaotic. I find the NetBSD site very
> easy-to-navigate.

It is easy to navigate if you come from a European, left-to-right top-to-
bottom culture.  Others may not find it quite so inviting.

I like the colors, they remind me of a blueprint.  I do suggest moving the
'How to get NetBSD' category above the 'About the NetBSD Project' category
in the left side bar, though.  Hopefully that is the first information new
visitors are looking for.  Generally, a new visitor to this page will scan
the logo, the text immediately underneath the logo, then start down the
left-side bar.  Putting 'How to get NetBSD' at the top of that scan will
lead them to this important information quicker.  Again this is a Euro-
centric viewpoint.

> OTOH, the logo isn't all that pretty.

It's not that bad, either.  Some color might help there.

> But it's a lot better than the other BSD sites. It's got more colour than
> OpenBSD

The current OpenBSD page looks good; the v3.0 Blowfish is colorful and
well-done, if a little too funky for my taste.  They have buried the
'how to install OpenBSD' even worse than the NetBSD site, however.

> and is easier to navigate than FreeBSD.

Amen.  Too much text, it's impossible to find the 'how do I get this
stuff' link, and the red on yellow just doesn't do it for me anymore.
We changed the DaemonNews look and feel earlier this year to be more
agreeable on the eyes and to get away from the harshness of the red/
yellow color scheme.

If you want to consider a new logo, or perhaps even just an update of
the current 'terminal summit' logo, I know a great graphic artist who
is quite skilled at drawing daemons.  ;^)

--
                                 Boats love me
                                 Sails fear me