Subject: Re: advocacy
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/21/2002 00:18:09
Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com> wrote:
> Sean Davis said:
>
> >I like blackbox. small and fast like twm, but a tad more functional.
>
> I've been meaning to try that.

I adore blackbox.  FWIW, I have a bunch of screenshots under
http://www.netmeister.org/screenshots/ - BB is really small and together
with bbkeys (BB itself is so minimalist, it doesn't even have any
keyboard-shortcuts), I can use it entirely without the much-hated
rodent.

I also do think that Blackbox or even WindowMaker would make nice
"default" Windowmanager, where we ever interested in making such a
decision.  They both are different enough to distinguish ourselves from
other out-of-the-box environments, yet anybody can use them quite
easily.

Where I work, the students who have enough of a clue to know that one
can change their windowmanager, changed it from twm to WindowMaker, with
a few exceptions using KDE.  The ones using KDE have been using KDE
unter Linux, the ones wanting WindowMaker have seen it at some other
users desktop and think it's cool b/c it's so different.  Monkey see,
monkey try. ;)

-Jan

--
finger jschauma@netmeister.org