Subject: Re: advocacy
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Grant Beattie <grant@grunta.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/21/2002 11:46:36
On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 03:29:50PM -0700, Rick Kelly wrote:

> >dealing with what we have now. Likewise, if you have
> >FreeBSD people that end up with hardware that won't
> >run FreeBSD (Sparcs and macs being a perfect example),
> >they will also probably be able to deal with sysinst
> >just fine.
>
> I really would like to see NetBSD taking up more space in the
> server room. If the demise of Solaris x86 is a reality, then
> there will be some vacancies.
>
> Also, UNIX shops need to put UNIX back on their employees desktops.
> We need to get more publicity for NetBSD as a useable professional
> workstation OS.

If replacing existing boxes with NetBSD is on the agenda, excellent
hardware support for popular server platforms would be highly
beneficial. I think too much emphasis is placed on x86 hardware. It's
popular, but we all know it's far from perfect.

Decent hardware support for new(er) Ultrasparc boxes would be a very
nice addition to NetBSD's credibility in the server space. I'd love to
pitch NetBSD at work, but with the majority of server hardware being
new Sun Ultras, it's just not an option. :(

g.