Subject: Re: advocacy
To: Grant Beattie <grant@grunta.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/20/2002 18:48:08
Grant Beattie said:

>If replacing existing boxes with NetBSD is on the agenda, excellent
>hardware support for popular server platforms would be highly
>beneficial. I think too much emphasis is placed on x86 hardware. It's
>popular, but we all know it's far from perfect.

We need SMP on popular server platforms.

IBM Power
Alpha
Sun 4m and Ultrasparc
Intel x86
Athlon MP
HP

And I know that this is an enormous amount of work. But it would be
great to have SMP for AMD Hammer when it ships.

>Decent hardware support for new(er) Ultrasparc boxes would be a very
>nice addition to NetBSD's credibility in the server space. I'd love to
>pitch NetBSD at work, but with the majority of server hardware being
>new Sun Ultras, it's just not an option. :(

Sun gave equipment and information to the Linux guys.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com