Subject: Re: advocacy
To: Wes Peters <wes@dobox.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/20/2002 12:33:45
--- Wes Peters <wes@dobox.com> wrote:
> We at DaemonNews have discussed the idea of making a
> special NetBSD
> "KDE Workstation" and/or "GNOME Workstation"
> product, perhaps bundled
> with a book about KDE/GNOME and a book about NetBSD.
>  A "simplified"
> installer would be part of the product as well, but
> that might just
> be a somewhat scripted version of sysinst.  The idea
> behind such a
> product is to make a boxed product that can be
> placed in bookstores,
> computer stores, and perhaps other geek-ish hangouts
> like Internet
> Cafes.

See, I tend to agree with Perry from before. NetBSD
seems to be doing fine. I tell people about it, and I
know they understand the value of it even as they
continue using their Linux machines. I think we
probably pick up some users after a bad Linux kernel
comes out, which seems to be quite often lately. As
long as there are no GPL type hang-ups with the user
(and I see moods about the GPL changing lately), the
transition is easy.

It sure would be cool to see a nice bright green
package of CD's at the local store, complete with a CD
for "easy install and setup" or whatever you want to
call it, but I don't really see that effort pushing
NetBSD as a whole forward too much. If Wasabi wants to
do it, more power to them because they deserve all the
exposure they can get. But otherwise, is it really
worth the effort? What we have now ain't all that bad,
and it fits in nice with the minimalist feel that
NetBSD adheres to. Maybe a mildly revamped sysinst and
a quick start manual is all that's needed?

Andy