Subject: Re: advocacy
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/20/2002 10:58:37
Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu> wrote:

> XFree86 configuration probably isn't going to be a major hurdle.  I don't
> know if the auto-configuration is anywhere near reliable enough to count
> on it from sysinst, but it certainly could make life easier for many
> end-users.
>
> I don't care for the idea of tying KDE too closely to NetBSD.  I'd also be
> leery of accidentally creating the impression that NetBSD endorses KDE, or
> has integrated it, or that it is ``the'' way that people should use X on
> NetBSD.

Agreed - the only problem I see with this is that *if* you set up X per
default, you have to select _a_ windowmanager to be the default.  This
will become the windowmanager that -- as people conceive it -- NetBSD
"supports" or "comes with".

Even if you offer the user a choice, you get into an area that requires
certain knowledge from the end-user (difference between KDE, GNOME,
$WindowManager, what a windowmanager is in contrast to a DE etc), and
you still need to default to something.

If you default to something like twm, Blackbox or WindowMaker, people
will call it "user-unfriendly" - if you default to GNOME or KDE you get
all the baggage it comes with and NetBSD is identified with that
environment.  Neither is an optimal solution.

-Jan

--
finger jschauma@netmeister.org