Subject: Re: advocacy
To: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/20/2002 09:40:44
I'm not so sure about the idea of putting KDE on an install CD.  In any
case, it's worth keeping straight that KDE is *not* a window manager; twm
is a window manager.  KDE is a desktop; it happens to include a window
manager, as well as a suite of integrated tools and toys.

IMHO, a traditional install CD, with a companion packages CD, is best.
If one really wants a ``pop the CD in, and get something that has NetBSD
buried in it somewhere but looks and feels like an unbelievably stable
version of a Microsoft product'' thing, then a dual CD might be best: One
traditional installation CD (from which install sets can be fetched) and
one ``Microsoft-killer'' CD (from which a set of packages and
configurations can be fetched to provide things such as a desktop,
TeX/LyX/GhostScript, software development tools, etc.).

Providing things like the heretic2-demo might also be good.  (Is that
still available?  I heard that the company that ported it to GNU/LINUX is
no longer in business.  But if the binary can still be downloaded, it's a
nice game-demo...if one is going to contemplate including KDE, certainly
slick games should go in, too.  (^&)

I think that this would better be done with a kind of meta-package system.
Well, second-best.  *Best* is just to inform users about pkgsrc and let
them do what they like, IMHO.  (^&

As for setting up X: It's *very* easy under XFree86 4.x.  At least it was
for me, under 4.0.  (The only problem that 4.0 really had was that it
generated a slightly bogus mouse configuration.  It either wanted
/dev/mouse instead of /dev/wsmouse, or it wanted something like a PS/2
mouse protocol instead of the WSmouse protocol.  If the autoconfig still
bungles that, you can have a short script run sed over the config to fix
it up.)

So, I guess that the upshot is:

XFree86 configuration probably isn't going to be a major hurdle.  I don't
know if the auto-configuration is anywhere near reliable enough to count
on it from sysinst, but it certainly could make life easier for many
end-users.

I don't care for the idea of tying KDE too closely to NetBSD.  I'd also be
leery of accidentally creating the impression that NetBSD endorses KDE, or
has integrated it, or that it is ``the'' way that people should use X on
NetBSD.