Subject: Re: BSD converts (was Re: Gartner perspective on BSD)
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/18/2002 23:44:12
On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 08:35:57PM -0700, Rick Kelly wrote:
> Jeremy C. Reed said:
>
> >What does "expert distro" mean?
> >
> >And I am curious: in what situations is Slackware a better solution?
>
> Just the sound of "expert distro" makes me twitch. :-)
>
> Slackware is the most simplistic Linux distribution. I have an ISO for
> Slackware 8 here, but I haven't installed it on anything as I just can't
> trust it's level of security. I guess being on the bugtraq mailing list
> has made me paranoid.

It's security is as good as its admin... :)

If you are that worried about security, you should be behind a good
firewall anyway.

I have not had much problem with my Slackware setup, most evaluation
software finds no problems, and it is an easy distribution to keep up
with with regard to security fixes.

I found it very time consuming to keep up with every other distribution,
so I just avoid them now.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist