Subject: Re: Gartner perspective on BSD
To: Ram Chandar <ram.chandar@qz.port5.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/15/2002 21:39:40
--- Ram Chandar <ram.chandar@qz.port5.com> wrote:
> I think Linux Hatred on this list out of place.

If you are talking about my comment from before,
something like:

>>I know, but I still hate it.

That was taken a bit out of context, I was referring
to Solaris for Intel. I get paid to administer SysV
stuff sometimes too. Linux is tolerable, but I truly
hate Solaris. It's flexible and configurable, but not
always intuitive or convenient. I'm spoiled by the
*BSD's, NetBSD in particular which forces you to learn
everything the right way the first time.

> For a Linux user moving to BSD is just like buying
> better, more comfortable underwear.

Nice comparison.

> I have to admit that I came to know about BSDs from
> the FreeBSD+Linux HowTo at linuxdoc.org and my move
> from RedHat to NetBSD was much smoother than I
> expected. I felt very familar with NetBSD, as it
> is more like the UNIX I have read in UNIX related
> books.

I learned it while struggling to find a Linux distro
that I could live with (none of them, in the end). My
cousin pointed me to www.freebsd.org and
www.netbsd.org and my education about unix truly began
there.

Andy