Subject: BSD converts (was Re: Gartner perspective on BSD)
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/15/2002 18:39:50
On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 11:56:31PM +0530, Ram Chandar wrote:
> I think Linux Hatred on this list out of place.

this is netbsd-ADVOCACY -- I think some hatred and flamewars are to be
expected, even if they are in bad taste.  some of my best friends are
hardcore linux hackers, but I don't hold it against them.  ;)

> I have to admit that I came to know about BSDs from the FreeBSD+Linux
> HowTo at linuxdoc.org and my move from RedHat to NetBSD was much
> smoother than I expected.

I caught the NetBSD virus due to surplus decstations being thrown my
way.  linux was barely getting started on decstation at that point,
(even now it seems to have stagnated,) and with more non-linux-running
hardware following me home, (VAX and then a couple turbochannel alphas,)
I didn't know of any other non-commercial options.

about a year later I switched my home directory to my NetBSD-running
decstation 5000/240 and my linux box

> I felt very familar with NetBSD, as it is more like the UNIX I have
> read in UNIX related books.

there's a lot of reasons I like NetBSD: the strong unix-nature of NetBSD
is one of them.  I dig the minimalism.

some the other main reasons I like NetBSD are the fantastic uniformity
and ease of administration across platforms.  I really appreciate the
little things like the daily reports, /var/backups, and mtree -- stuff
that eases sysadmin tasks.  it is easy to administer NetBSD on all my
different platforms.  the actual box I'm running on has become a true
commodity.

and finally I love the code uniformity.  being able to build kernels and
userlands for all my different architectures from the same source tree
is elegant.  when build.sh gets all hammered out, I'll be able to build
from any platform to any platform as well.  cross-compile an /i386
kernel and userland from my VAX!  (or maybe that's the other way around?
:) )

      "[...] I generally haven't found IDM guys to be very good
       live acts, most of them just sit down at their laptop and
       tweak reaktor."  -- Brandon Daniel