Subject: Re: Gartner perspective on BSD
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/15/2002 00:39:59
Mike Cheponis said:

>Whoever does it must do it very politely and diplomatically.   -Mike

The computer industry seems to be in what I would call the "silly season".

1. IBM claims to have spent $1 billion US on Linux and is pushing it like
   crazy.

Reality:

You can buy IBM x86 servers with Linux from their website. It doesn't seem
like you can buy Power based systems with Linux from their website. They
apparently have a Linux mainframe solution (you still need OS/390 or z/os
to partition the system for Linux).

I worked a contract at IBM Boulder during 2001 supporting web sites. Most of
the websites are Sun/Solaris. IBM mostly uses Windows 98 and Windows 2000 for
desktops. Email is Lotus Notes, which has had a client ported to Linux yet.

Yes, I know that IBM ported JFS to Linux, and of course, ported Linux to it's
mainframe line, but that is a drop in the bucket.

2. Sun delays Solaris 9 x86 and then announces a plan to support Linux on x86
   servers.

Reality:

They are nuts. Solaris x86 is much more stable than Linux.

3. HP has their own special Linux. What are they thinking?

Every time I think about installing Linux on a spare system here, some new
exploit appears on BUGTRAQ.

And then there are the processor wars. HP and Compaq selling out good hardware
for itanic. It just all freaks me out.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com