Subject: Re: But NetBSD runs on more
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/07/2002 09:00:19
On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Richard Rauch wrote:

: This list is almost identical that found in the right margin
: http://www.netbsd.org/ with the sole difference being that Wasabi doesn't
: seem to mention the acorn32 or the playstation2 ports.
:
: Presumably these are because of a stale page at Wasabi.  (^&

Well, the Wasabi list still lags behind the bleeding edge at netbsd.org a
little.  8-)  One of Wasabi's runs of press materials used the number 44, as
that was the number of distinct $MACHINEs in the public NetBSD source tree
at the time.

NetBSD runs on A Lot Of Platforms.  Now, I personally define "platform" with
a little more granularity than even what $MACHINEs we have; there are such
major distinctions as:

* different models of "hpc*" machines (which require completely different
  kernel configs),

* the "sun3" vs. "sun3x" (which are machines with completely different
  memory and bus layout),

* TurboChannel vs. PCI "alpha",

* and even two different major CPU modes of "sparc64" (you can run a 32-bit
  kernel that acts like "sparc" on these).

Even where these machines can share GENERIC kernels, they are clearly
different at the hardware level.  Taking these major divergences into
account, there's over 60 hardware "platforms" on which NetBSD runs.

And then there's other more subtle, but important, distinctions between
"platforms" (see the sheer number of DEC_* options in
src/sys/arch/alpha/conf/GENERIC, for instance)....

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/