Subject: Re: NetBSD on non-MMU systems???
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/07/2002 00:10:26
Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca> writes:
> Linux, or more specifically uClinux and other variations,
> support embedded systems with no MMU (Memory Management
> Units).  How hard would it be to port NetBSD to them non-MMU's
> systems?  What steps, work would be needed?  Has anyone else
> attempted this, or is working on this now?

We (Wasabi Systems) have thought about it a few times, but it is
becoming so cheap to have an MMU in a system that we're not sure it is
worth the effort. Were enough people interested (especially, I hate to
put it this way, paying customers -- we do have to eat) we might be
willing to give it a go. However, we haven't had much serious interest
and (as I've said) as hardware costs for MMUs fall it becomes less and
less interesting as projects go.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com