To: James Chacon , Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/09/2001 11:24:14
--- James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net> wrote:
> That's a large double standard and honestly would
> just tick me off if I were
> in their shoes. "Oh...the license says I don't have
> to release my code or
> any of my custom changes but I'm now considered a
> pariah of sorts unless I
> do anyways? Ok, goodbye"...
>
> The idea is to encourage companies to support
> NetBSD...

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y. We may be starting to get a bit off
topic here, but any time you complain about code not
being open, you start to support the GPL way of doing
things.

People that release their code under BSD or something
similar are doing this for personal reasons, and for
the genuine purpose of helping someone else out. If
you don't want to release your code, fine. But
releasing somethign to work with BSD can only help in
my opinion. If it's crap, it will be found out soon
enough.

Which is the whole reason why I use BSD, these kinds
of arguments are irrelevant. GPL people can argue
ideology all they want, meanwhile I'll be using BSD
and saving my breath...

Andy