Subject: Re: real hobbyist games developer
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/11/2001 21:31:16
Hi,

On 10 Nov 2001, at 16:28, Miles Nordin wrote:
> so, As a real hobbyist games developer, what *you* think NetBSD needs
> to be useful to commercial game development companies?

Access to hardware that is not likely to be implemented.

> This never happened when I played Zelda on N64.  This play-experience
> is not captured by boastable metrics like horsepower and framerate.  I
> think the NetBSD-work-in-progress I mentioned does capture this
> problem.  If you disagree or see a different problem, enlighten us.

A gamingconsole does not need to have features of an OS, it needs
a loader for a game, nothing more. There is no need to support
different graphic chipsets and such. There is no need to care if
another application needs to write to the framebuffer or memory or
whatever.

mike