Subject: Re: Debian runs on more archs than NetBSD?
To: None <CaptnZilog@aol.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/16/2001 10:47:53
CaptnZilog@aol.com  wrote:
 > Not sure what the Debian stuff is like, but looking at
 > "www.linux.org" hardware-ports project list, I notice
 > that Linux/Decstation boots "multiuser on serial
 > console" but doesn't seem to have framebuffer support.
 > Interestingly, Linux/MIPS says that "a port to R2000
 > and R3000 processors is in progress (hmm, do they talk
 > to the Linux/Decstation people???), but moves at a
 > snails pace".  Linux/SH3 boots the kernel and prints
 > "Hello World" recursively from its screen shots, and
 > Linux/Vax now boots to a shell, but only runs on the
 > VaxStation 3100/4000 series boxen.
 >
 > By far, it seems to me that NetBSD is *far* more mature
 > on these platforms.  Not that they haven't made good
 > progress...  I do notice, also, that many of the "ports"
 > projects seem to be on the 2.2 kernel.

It'd be amusing to see if anyone else would adopt a standard
for when a machine is actually running an operating system
rather than a 'hello world' with a barely surviving kernel
in the background...

Say, 'when your port can run apache with the following
CGI's, then you can say you've successfully ported your
operating system to that architecture'.

It sounds like  all of the NetBSD ports would easily pass
such a thing but Linux would fall flat on its face.