Subject: Re: Debian runs on more archs than NetBSD?
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/15/2001 16:29:08
On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 04:22:26PM -0700, Mike Cheponis wrote:
> I friend sent this to me:

> Debian currently supports more architectures than any other open OS...  the
> NetBSD *kernel* may support more, but I doubt it (other than 32532, and mine
> has really been collecting dust!).  See
>
>        http://buildd.debian.org/stats/graph.png
>
> Is this true?

the graph lists the following 13 architectures:

alpha
arm
hppa
hurd-i386, i386
ia64
m68k
mips, mipsel
powerpc
s390
sh
sparc

arguably we could shrink that down to 11 distinct processor families by
combining hurd-i386 and i386, and mips and mipsel.

the NetBSD system (complete and self-hosting) runs on 11 processor
familes:

alpha
arm
i386
m68k
mips
ns32k
powerpc
sh3
sparc
vax
x86_64

debian supports hppa and s390.
NetBSD supports vax and ns32k.

looks like a tie to me.  :)  anybody know how NetBSD/s390 and
NetBSD/hppa are coming?

     "No single layer of abstraction can save the world or even make
      good coffee."  --  Kevin P. Neal