Subject: Re: PAM stinks.
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: sudog <sudog@sudog.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/01/2001 11:12:03
> Everything you've described though is problems with an implementation,
> not specificly with the protocol/API. Using a bad linux implementation
> as the showcase for why someone shouldn't use a specific API would mean
> a lot of different API's should be discarded due to bad/hacked up linux
> implementations...

Well, perhaps. But here're the systems I have contact with: NetBSD,
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, GNU/Linux (various flavours), Solaris.

Each have their own authentication mechanisms (the BSDs far more similar
to each other) and are easier to work with. The PAM that comes included
with RedHat is really the only PAM I've had to deal with.

If you know of better implementations that integrate easily (preferrably
drop-in replacements) with basic Linux flavours so I don't have to
recompile the entirety of my software that depends on them, I'd be happy
to look at the information, and change my tune.

Unlike lots of people, if you show me a better way, I shut up and start
agreeing with you. :)

Marc