Subject: Re: MS's OS Vision
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/28/2001 16:44:02
I didn't read that ``paper'', but you might be interested in
Mosix + GFS.

 http://www.crackmonkey.org/pipermail/crackmonkey/2001q1/017574.html

Has anyone actually gotten Coda, Kerberos, or Hesiod working?  I've
been wanting to try, but it seems like a lot of this bleeding edge
open-source stuff simply doesn't work as claimed, unless you have the
time and talent to fix it yourself.  It is difficult enough to
conjure useful documentation out of a bubbling cauldron without FIXING
things as well.  I am getting a little bitter, because I am sick of
setting up web+mail+firewall servers again and again and proclaiming
this stuff is great when in fact it only does one thing.

It's been at least two or three years since the last time someone
mentioned Plan9, in a discussion about SMP and realtime latency.  Do
we even have preemptive threads that work yet?  pah, there is too
much unpaid and very difficult _work_ to do.  I'm going to go read a
book instead.

--
So  arbitrary and so foolish. I can only say you are incurable. I feel
sad for you, feel sad for your poor judging ability.