Subject: Re: MS's OS Vision
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/24/2001 15:04:56
On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 11:34:21AM -0400, Todd.Graham@ic.gc.ca wrote:

> Speaking of phone companies hasn't Bell done a pretty decent job with Plan9
> as far as really "distributed" operating systems go?  It seemed to me that
> the last time I looked at it the whole conception of Plan9 was so
> distributed that CORBA COM Java weren't really even necessary. Mind you
> Plan9 as well would work more easily if there were only "one system" (namely
> Plan9) on the network ;)

Plan 9 has a lot of potential, but it needs a lot of things before it's
usable as my everyday operating system. It's graphics system is very
elegant, and while I don't agree with their argument against cursor
control, most of their ideas on the UI are pretty good.

I hope it continues to develop. If it would do 3D and had more hardware
support, I would probably dedicate a machine to it.

--
 "There is no such thing as security.  Life is either bold
	adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"

s h a n n o n @ w i d o m a k e r . c o m