Subject: RE: MS's OS Vision
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: None <Todd.Graham@ic.gc.ca>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/24/2001 11:34:21
Sitting here using MICRO~01 products (sorry, we're actually required to =
use
Outlook and I don't know how to make it quote properly or wrap text in =
the
way programs developed 20 years ago are able to do) I can only say =
pretty
much anything will be an improvement.  At this point the world's number =
one
marketeer of "operating systems" may realize they are a commodity much =
like
the protocols they implement: but their vision of the future sounds a =
bit
like a cross between TV, the "Windows95 Internet", and the telephone =
... If
it happens hopefully it'll have better content than MSNBC.

Speaking of phone companies hasn't Bell done a pretty decent job with =
Plan9
as far as really "distributed" operating systems go?  It seemed to me =
that
the last time I looked at it the whole conception of Plan9 was so
distributed that CORBA COM Java weren't really even necessary. Mind you
Plan9 as well would work more easily if there were only "one system" =
(namely
Plan9) on the network ;)

--
Graham Todd