Subject: Re: *BSD Counter Project
To: Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
From: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/04/2001 10:29:04
You know, most of this could be done by (at least a first approximation)
by using the OS fingerprinting code that nmap uses.

For example, here's what nmap reported for www.bsdcounter.org:

# nmap -Ovvv www.bsdcounter.org

Starting nmap V. 2.53 by fyodor@insecure.org ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
No tcp,udp, or ICMP scantype specified, assuming vanilla tcp connect() scan. Use -sP if you really don't want to portscan (and just want to see what hosts are up).
Host bsdcounter.org (205.166.121.34) appears to be up ... good.

<Snip list of open ports>

Sequence numbers: 7A6B01CC 7A6C3AD4 7A6D7A72 7A6E8E76 7A6FBB54 7A706D05

No OS matches for host (If you know what OS is running on it, see http://www.insecure.org/cgi-bin/nmap-submit.cgi).

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 16 seconds

   (nmap usually has a decent guess, but this time it did not.)

If you go to <http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph> and type in
www.bsdcounter.org you get:

  The site www.bsd-counter.org is running Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) on FreeBSD.

So, the project to survey OS usage would be to go through the 32-bit
IP address space and figure out what the machine is running.

Sometimes, the DNS will have an entry like this:

foo.net.       IN      HINFO   "PentiumPro 150/64MB/4GB" "BSD/OS UNIX 4.0"

which "nslookup" reports.

With these techniques, it should be possible to do an independent "first
approximation" survey.  (Yes, I know, if stuff is behind firewalls or
otherwise hidden, you won't be able to tell.  But this technique still has
a few advantages:  It's automatic; you can split the scanning among
thousands of machines; it's objective - although you must be careful what
you are claiming from the results.  Heck, if you merely took a random
sample of the 32-bit IP address space, you could produce probabilities that
project the likely population of the various OSs in the "visible" internet
within known bounds of precision.)

-Mike