Subject: Re: *BSD Counter Project
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/04/2001 13:30:44
On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 02:15:48PM -0600, Herb Peyerl wrote:
> jchacon@genuity.net  wrote:
>  > >> A child could see that your data is hopelessly skewed.
>  > >
>  > >I did start the counters at zero. The current count represents people who
>  > >have declared themselves to be a user of a given OS or a mix of OSs.
>  >
>  > "I'll set all the counters to zero and then fill in OS data for everything
>  > initially based on data that only measures FreeBSD counts.". Yep, I'd say
>  > that about sums it up. It's fairly obvious to anyone looking at this that's
>  > it's skewed heavily in one direction arbitrarily. To claim otherwise (and
>  > expect anyone to beleive it) is ridiculous.
>

> I don't get this anyway.  The whole thing is so completely meaningless
> that it's a disservice to even bother trying.  Basically, it requires
> people to pro-actively do something in order to make it count.  I have
> better things to do than to go register my 100+ NetBSD machines, so in
> the end, he seems to be counting how many people are running whateverBSD
> and who have nothing better to do with themselves.
>
> Since FreeBSD is so much higher, maybe we can summarize that FreeBSD
> users have nothing better to do with their time.
>
> <punt>

I'm working on a script that when run, will cause the machine to register
itself. You may choose to do this or you may choose to do nothing. Either
way its your call.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 4.3
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | www.bafug.org