Subject: Re: Anecdote time
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 05/06/2001 15:12:07
On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 10:48:33AM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:

NetBSD often doesn't have everything I want, but it definitely is
remarkably free of problems. I like it better on workstation hardware
than Intel though.

If I could get hardware accelerated OpenGL under NetBSD (or FreeBSD for
that matter), it would be on my desktop system. Unfortunately I have an
nVidia graphics card and they only have a driver and OpenGL library for
Linux right now.

I don't see why they could not port to the *BSD systems, since it is
just a plugin/driver for the XFree86 4.x servers. The library itself
shouldn't be a problem either, I don't believe.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to be patient.

> To this day, NetBSD is one of the systems I use to test hardware.  It's not
> just the normal "if this doesn't work, something must be wrong with the
> hardware"; it's that if NetBSD doesn't work, it's very likely to tell me
> *why*.

Windows does this a lot better than NetBSD.  Every time you get an
error in Windows, the error message is at the bottom of the screen.
It says "Copyright Microsoft YYYY".

	:)

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist