Subject: Need advice on starting a user group
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 05/01/2001 21:25:40
So, a friend of mine decided that we need a BSD user group in the
area. That was a few months ago. We now have http://www.tribug.org/
setup, a mailing list, a bunch of people, and not much of an idea
what to do next.

We're planning on having our first meeting at a restaurant somewhere
nearby soon. After that things get a bit fuzzy. I assume we need
a constitution, officers, perhaps some sort of legal status along
with a bank account (but that comes later), and I'm not sure
what else.

Any advice? It's been a while (almost 10 years) since I've been in
a user group. How are these things generally organized? What sort
of constitution needs to be written/gotten?

Does anybody have suggestions on what to talk about every month? Are
there any gotchas we should know about?

Basically, what are we doing, anyway?

Thanks for any help.

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper