Subject: Re: Comdex post-mortem
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: None <CaptnZilog@aol.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/11/2001 18:12:59
Been reading this thread with some interest...

Kindof wondering *why* NetBSD isn't a 501(c)(3) organization?

I mention this because I happen to be the Treasurer (and elected Board member)
for a 501(c)(3) organization...  and judging from all the documentation I
have on it
and having the experience of being doing it for a while, it has its benefits.

Technically, as a business, TNF must file every year with the IRS.  Even if
they
can claim a loss, they must balance their income vs. expenses and demonstrate
this to the IRS.  At least, I hope they have...

As a 501(c)(3), I see some advantages:

1)  People donating money to TNF would be able to take it as a tax writeoff.

2)  I think (would have to look up the #'s here) the limit is $20K... if they
take in
     less than $20K in a year, they could get by with *never* filing with the
IRS
     after the initial review period (ours was 3 years -- we take in roughly
$14K/yr,
     after the initial filing we filed *once* at the 3-year mark to show <
$20k, and
     now never have to file again unless by some miracle we break that limit).

3)  It might be more of an incentive for something like Comdex, or whoever is
     putting on the show... or for someone else even, to donate the space for
     the booth at the show since they could take a writeoff.

Just curious as to whether any serious thought was put into this, and if so
(or not)
what downsides came up...